Return to What's New page
Englewood Railway of Western Forest Products, BC's only operating logging
railway, is part of WFP's
Englewood Forest Operations, headquartered in Woss BC. Built first in 1917, it
was formerly operated to 2006 by CanFor.
The railway runs 56 miles down
the Nimpkish Valley from Vernon Lake, though Woss; follows Hwy 19 to
Nimpkish Lake, then heads NE to end at Beaver Cove, south of Ports Hardy and
McNeil. It operates
1950 vintage diesels now, but operated Steam locomotives as tourist
trains right up to the 90s. The Wikipedia information of the
Englewood Railway is here. See also a Tour story
|A rusting steam engine that caught our interest
is #112, a 90 ton Baldwin #56323; an oil fired 2-6-2T, "tank" model built in
1923. (the T means
water is held on board rather than needing a tender. What looks like a huge
firebox is actually water storage)
It's located on a siding just west of the
log sort at Beaver Cove, easily seen from the Telegraph Cove highway. Its
sister steam loco is on display in Woss.
2012 photos by Dave Hodgins
|Lynda Parsons found two photos of
Climax Shop # 1505, a B-45 Standard; built in July 1920 for the Beaver Cove
Lumber & Pulp Co. Ltd. No. 1, at Beaver Cove, BC. Ownership/numbering changed
to Wood & English Ltd. No. 7, Englewood, BC, then in
1941 Canadian Forest Products Ltd. No. 7 (1st), Englewood, BC.
In 1952, it
was refitted as a diesel as Canadian Forest Products Ltd No. 2, later No.
252, Englewood, BC.
Scrapped in1973. In Photo 2 it is behind the #112
More photos here.